Cultural heritage - Sanary-sur-Mer

Le sanctuaire de la Miséricorde

Known as "Des pénitents blancs", also known as "Chapelle du Coquillon".

It was built between 1570 and 1580 and from the beginning it served as a town house for the reunion of heads of families. In 1660, 135 families were represented, occupying more than 250 houses and totalling 1200 people.
Until the Revolution, elections for trustees and assemblies of heads of families were held in the chapel, as well as parish worship in the event of work in Saint-Nazaire. It is there that the six representatives of the canton in the district of Toulon were elected on 13 June 1790.
In place of the dissolved brotherhood, a Society of Friends of the Constitution, then the Supervisory Committee, met during the revolutionary period.
Sold as a national asset, it was bought in 1825 by a new brotherhood of White Penitents, which dissolved in 1867. It then became the chapel of the congregation of the Daughters of the Visitation.
The 1657 bell is on display in the hall of the town hall. The chapel houses several Baroque religious paintings as well as two reliquary busts, a pietà, a processional cross from the early 20th century and two typical statues of Saint Sulpician art in plasterboard.

Opening

Opening from 01 January 2022 to 31 December 2022
DaysHours
MondayNot disclosed
TuesdayNot disclosed
WednesdayNot disclosed
ThursdayNot disclosed
FridayNot disclosed
SaturdayNot disclosed
SundayNot disclosed

Every Friday mass from 9am to 9.45am and from 3.30pm to 4.15pm and Stations of the Cross from 3pm to 3.45pm.

Benefits

Equipments

  • Parking