Cultural heritage - Sanary-sur-Mer

Le lavoir

Before 1855 in the village, water was taken from the fountain placed in front of the church and supplied by the Mortar spring known as the Mother Fountain.

Two terminals are also placed at each end of the port. Laundry is cleaned in the washhouse and main water trough, built on the longliners' quay as well as at two other smaller washhouses: one at the end of rue de la Prud'homie, the other at the mouth of the Daumas valley.
In 1855, a new, larger and more beautiful washhouse, with a water trough, was built. Demolished in 1865, it was replaced in 1867 by a new structure on which a roof was added in 1891. This washhouse was then transferred near the cemetery. His dryer was repaired in 1981.
In 1867, Marius Michel, known as Michel Pacha, mayor of the town, commissioned the sculptor Emile Adalbert to create two allegorical fountains, one from Agriculture and the other from the Navy. He also leads the construction of the dock, to prevent the houses from having their feet in the water during the "drops".
In 1996, the washhouse supplied by the Daumas valley was hardly used anymore. A new life was given to it by the municipality, which decided to restore it and enhance it in the Jean-Cavet gardens, named after the president of the local committee of the Resistance and the first mayor of the Liberation.


Opening from 01 January 2024 to 31 December 2024
MondayNot disclosed
TuesdayNot disclosed
WednesdayNot disclosed
ThursdayNot disclosed
FridayNot disclosed
SaturdayNot disclosed
SundayNot disclosed



  • Parking nearby